The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has warned pet owners about the dangers of marijuana use to pets.

The THC found in marijuana, which is the psychoactive compound of the drug, is toxic to dogs says the AVMA.

THC can can cause vomiting, incoordination, depression, sleepiness or excitation, low blood pressure, low body temperature and seizures.

“We’ve seen a marked increase in any state that has legalized marijuana, where there’s been a huge spike in the amount of cases of animals coming into veterinary hospitals, clearly under the effects of marijuana,” said AVMA President Dr. John de Jong to Capitol News Illinois.

Capitol News Illinois tweeted, “With legalization of adult-use marijuana set to begin Jan. 1 in Illinois, the American Veterinary Medical Association is warning residents of the dangers marijuana ingestion can cause their pets #twill https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannabis/2019/6/27/18872443/legal-pot-pet-risk-vets-ingestion-marijuana-toxic-poison-ultimately-kill-dogs …”

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’ Poison Control Center, there was a 765% increase in calls about marijuana ingestion by animals during the first few months of this year compared to the last year.

“If they got enough of it (THC), it could probably cause enough damage to the liver or kidney system to have long lasting effects that might eventually kill them,” said de Jong.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

California Releases Rules and Regulations for Marijuana
17 November 2017
New Federal Bill Suspends Marijuana As Schedule III
18 April 2017
South Carolina Senate Subcommittee Votes to Advance Bill to Legalize Medical Marijuana
22 March 2019