Three elementary school children at a Northern California school have been hospitalized after accidentally eating cannabis gums.

Authorities have said the three Jacoby Creek Elementary third grade students were given the gummies from another student during their snack recess last Thursday.
The student who brought the edibles to school didn’t know they contained marijuana, said police and school officials.

Three children were taken to receive medical attention after they began to display signs of intoxication, Jacoby Creek superintendent and principal Melanie Nannizzi told parents in an email.

All three kids were released from the hospital and are fortunately doing well, Nannizzi told the Times-Standard newspaper in Eureka.

Nannizzi told parents that the classroom was initially evacuated over concerns the kids might have been reacting to carbon monoxide exposure.

“This was a frightening incident for our entire school community,” Nannizzi wrote in the email.

The Arcata Police Department is investigating, Officer Heidi Groszmann said.
Groszmann warned parents to keep cannabis products away from children, especially those that look like candy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Marijuana Giant Tilray Just Signed an LOI with this Company
21 September 2018
Fishing For Engagement: The Comment Section Welcomes Awful Conversation
04 August 2023
Sonoma, California Ease Tax Burden for County Weed Farmers
02 March 2023