According to a study, more and more people are landing in the ER after eating marijuana edibles.
The study, published recently in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, Colorado found that there was a threefold increase in the number of people admitted to hospital emergency rooms that were attributable to cannabis between the years 2012 and 2016.
Surprisingly cannabis edibles resulted in nearly 11 percent of all cannabis-attributed emergency room visits but only take up a small number of total cannabis sales, less than 1 percent based on THC content, and only 3.6 percent of marijuana users reported using edibles.
There had also been three deaths related to edible cannabis products in Colorado.
Andrew A. Monte, PhD, an associate professor of emergency medicine and medical toxicology at the University of Colorado said to Healthline, “This finally puts some data behind the observations that doctors have been seeing for years.”
Ruben Baler, PhD, a health scientist administrator at the National Institute on Drug Abuse said, “There have been inklings that different routes of administration would have different outcomes. There were preliminary results from emergency departments and poison centers already hinted at the differences. This clearly shows the differential risks of toxic adverse effects.”