An Ohio toddler has been hospitalized after eating a cake pop that was made with cannabis.
The child’s mother is sending a warning out to other parents after the toddler ended up at the hospital.
While on vacation in Florida in December, Rebecca Villarreal said she noticed something was very wrong with her 3-year-old son, Emilio, WTVG reports.
“I knew right away that something wasn’t right. You just know your kid, you know what I mean?” Villarreal said.
The family had stopped for a treat at Groovy Smoothie in Tarpon Springs. According to their Facebook page, the store sells items such as fruit bowls, juices and smoothies with the choice of being infused with cannabis.
Villarreal claims an employee offered to make them a smoothie without cannabis in it that was safe for children to consume.
“I told her I thought it was just a smoothie store. She said, ‘No, no, it’s okay. I can still make a smoothie for the kids,” Villarreal said.
Her 3-year-old son asked for a cake pop from a refrigerator that was labeled as a “kid-friendly cake pop.”
“Ten minutes later, it triggered him,” Villarreal said. “He fell asleep on the car ride home, and we put him to bed. When he woke up, he was screaming and crying.”
The child was taken to Advent Health North Pinellas Hospital. The diagnosis was accidental marijuana overdose.
“He was shaking and twitching the whole time in the hospital. They took a CT scan to make sure it wasn’t a seizure, and thank God, it wasn’t,” Villarreal said.
The cake pop was made with 100 milligrams of THC, which is the active ingredient in marijuana that makes users high.
Villarreal says an employee accidentally placed a THC cake pop in the “kid-friendly” area.
The owner of Groovy Smoothie gave them a card that read in part, “We sincerely apologize and hope you get well soon.”